Saturday, April 12, 2014

Loser Love Diaries 10: Internet Relationship? Not.

There was a Ukrainian girl. One who shall remain nameless. She was quite sweet, that is, as far as I could tell.

I have actually never met said girl.

To everything into context, I studied in Düsseldorf, Germany in June of 2012. And to easily keep in touch with all the friends I met there (and for them to do so as well), I set up a Facebook group titled "IIK Düsseldorf Freunde." IIK, being, the International Institute of Communication and "Freunde," meaning, "friends."

There, this one girl joined the group, added me as friends via Facebook and after liking a handful of my contributions, started private messaging me.

She was nice and I could tell starting early on, on the flirty side. Unlike most American girls (and typical for European girls), she was online less than regularly, and thus, we chatted less than regularly as well.

But we chatted and chatted. About what, I don't remember and it's not even important, frankly.

Most of the time, she would be the one to initiate the conversation. That's quite rare. And, most of all, that makes me rather unattracted to a girl. It was eerily too easy.

After doing some research and discovering the low male-to-female ratio in Ukraine and since I never met this girl (and at them time doubted she was for one real and two, that I was ever going to meet her) I felt compelled to outright ask her, "Are there few men in the Ukraine?" She at first asked, seemingly shocked, "Why do you ask?"

I then told her about the brief research I "conducted," to which she responded that Ukrainian men don't care for their women and that Ukrainian women simply want a good understanding and attention from their partners.

The image I now have of Eastern European men (in part thanks to already visiting Poland), is one that is excessively gruff, deliberately crude in an attempt to be as absolutely masculine as possible (from unshaven, disheveled, to downright ugly), wearing sports clothing, complete only with a supermodel hanging over you at all times.  

What is important, however, is that we skyped twice, wherein I found out that she is in fact a real human being, and (get this!) a human female who was spending her real-life time to talk to me!

We had actually planned to meet in Ukraine early in 2014 if memory serves (ironically before the political strife), but if I remember correctly, I didn't want to go due to the cold weather Eastern Europe is known for especially in the middle of wintertime.

Rather, I proposed that after she gets in Dresden, Germany (where she was planning to study), we would meet there.

Well, as far as I can tell from the pictures she's been posting (and seemingly waiting for me to hit the like button on them), she's there. After two attempts to ask her how things are going, I've received no response.

Oh well, hopefully she's found someone else. If so, I'm genuinely happy for her. Because I'm a genuinely nice person.

At least that way, telling our grandchildren how we met wouldn't be so awkward.

No comments: